When is the last time you took time for yourself? Has it been a while? Take 30 seconds now to close your eyes and just breathe. Your mental health will thank you! This is a small, yet effective way to take a moment for yourself during a hectic day. Let’s explore additional easy ways to practice self-care.
Self-care can look different to everyone. It may be taking a warm bubble bath, going for a run, or doing a jigsaw puzzle. Whatever you enjoy, try to take at least 30 minutes every day for yourself. Self-care can help to manage stress, lower risk of illness and increase your energy. Doing small acts of self-care daily can have a big impact on your overall wellbeing!
Here are some tips to get you started on practicing self-care:
- Exercise regularly-30 minutes of walking every day can help boost your mood. If you can’t do 30 minutes at a time, small amounts can add up as well!
- Stay hydrated and eat healthy-Consuming healthier foods and plenty of water can improve your energy and focus throughout the day.
- Try a relaxing activity-Look up new relaxation or wellness programs and apps and schedule regular times to use them. WellSpan Philhaven’s myStrength app offers custom resources to improve your mood and track your health. Use the code, START, to set up your free account.
- Stay connected-Don’t forget to reach out to family and friends for support. Take time to make plans or just catch up!
Looking for specific activities you can do for yourself? Take a look at the list below:
- Get a massage
- Take time to learn a new meal
- Write in a journal
- Watch a movie
- Read a book
- Get outside for some fresh air
- Take a nap
Find a full list of activities you can try here.
Visit communityhealthcouncil.com/mentalhealth/ for more resources.