ARE THEY SAFE?
We commend you for your commitment to wanting to keep your teen safe in his or her relationship. Dealing with teen intimate relationships can be difficult as a parent. Teens often have intense levels of emotion in regard to their partner, even though it may be short-term and sporadic. As a parent, you can help your teen think rationally and critically about their relationship. But first, consider these warning signs:
Has your teen…
- Shown a loss of concentration?
- Shown signs of being afraid to upset their partner?
- Spent excessive amounts of time in contact with their partner?
- Lost contact with other friends?
- Been constantly fighting with their partner?
- Changed their behavior and/or appearance?
- Had unexplained injuries?
- Not been enjoying activities that he/she used to enjoy?
- Become more aggravated and/or less independent?
- Seemed persistent to be home at certain times to receive/make phone calls?
- Seemed withdrawn from what is going on around him or her?
- Told you about or have you been a witness to their partner calling them names, embarrassing them, or putting them down in front of others?
The more “yes-es” you answered, the greater the likelihood your teen is a target of high risk dating behaviors. On the flipside, it is possible your teen might be the one exhibiting these high risk behaviors:
Does your teen…
- Appear jealous and possessive?
- Blame their partner for anything that goes wrong?
- Damage or ruin their partner’s things?
- Want to control their partner’s decisions?
- Constantly text or call their partner (especially to check whereabouts)?
- Post embarrassing information about their partner on social media websites?
Need help getting started with talking to your teen? We understand. We recommend contacting a local victim advocate program for free, confidential assistance and advice. These programs are available 24 hours a day:
Domestic Violence Intervention of Lebanon County Sexual Assault Resource & Counseling Center
Hotline: 273-7190 Hotline: 272-5308
Find on Facebook and Twitter Find on Facebook and Twitter