QUICK TIPS FOR PARENTS OF A PREGNANT TEEN
Moms suggest that supporting your daughter during this time instead of being angry will make the outcome better for everyone who is involved.
- Help your daughter consider all her options, including adoption, abortion, and motherhood.
- Your daughter may benefit from counseling during this time; help her find someone to talk to.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?!
You just learned your teen is going to be a parent. You most likely are experiencing many emotions and are having many different thoughts. Visit this site below to learn more about parents’ and teens’ emotions, special concerns, medical care and lifestyle changes, as well as tips for preparations.
When Your Teen Is Having a Baby
How do I cope with this news?! … How should I respond to my teen? … How do I offer her support? These are just a few of the questions you may have. Read the article below for advice.
Coping With Teen Pregnancy
SPECIFICALLY FOR THE DADS OF A PREGNANT TEEN
Fathers may have a different reaction to learning their daughter is pregnant. Learn what this fatherhood expert has to say about fathers and pregnant teens…
LOCAL PROGRAMS TO SUPPORT PREGNANT TEENS:
- Early Head Start- is a program available to pregnant women that offers information and support on health, child development, parenting, and more. Call 717-450-1512 to learn more.
- ELECT– a program offered via IU-13 to encourage and help pregnant and parenting youth attain high school diploma or GED. Call 717-269-3285 to learn more.
- Lebanon Family Health Services– is a local health clinic that offers prenatal services to pregnant woman. Services are geared primarily to low-income, uninsured and underinsured women. Patients are followed from conception through delivery. Lebanon Family Health Services is also the vendor for WIC (Women, Infants and Children) –is a supplemental nutrition program for low and mid-income families. WIC provides supplemental nutritious food, nutrition education, breastfeeding support and referrals for pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants and children under age 5.
- Lebanon Pregnancy Center– a local resource that offers pregnancy testing, options counseling, prenatal and parenting education, and referrals to community agencies.
- Mentor- A – Mother– is a group mentoring program for young mothers.
- Nurse Family Partnership – is a maternal health program that offers supports to first-time parents to ensure healthy pregnancy and positive parenting. Call 717-782-2335 to learn more.
It is important to understand that if a teen is pregnant, her medical rights legally change. Learn more here:
Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP) is a form that allows unmarried parents to voluntarily establish paternity for their child without going through a court, and gives the father legal rights and duties as to the child.