WE ASKED TEENS HOW THEIR PARENTS CAN HELP PREVENT THEM FROM BECOMING A TEEN PARENT.
This is what they said…
- Show us why teen pregnancy is such a bad idea
Find examples or stories that a teen can relate to that shows the real challenges of being a parent- Stories that show money, education, career and parenting challenges.
- Talk to us honestly about sex, love and relationships
Acknowledge how powerful and real their emotions are.
- Telling us not to have sex is not enough.
Teens want information on abstinence and contraception.
- Whether we are having sex or not, we need to be prepared.
Teens want to know accurate information about birth control. Provide it to them before they get it from an unreliable source.
- Pay attention to us before we get in trouble.
If your teen is dating someone older (particularly 2 or more years), they are more likely to be involved in a sexual relationship.
- Sometimes, all it takes not to have sex is not to have the opportunity.
Lots of unsupervised time increases the likelihood of teens having sex. Keep teens engaged in adult-supervised activities.
- We really care what you think, even if we don’t always act like it.
Contrary to what many parent believe, teens report that their parents influence their decisions regarding sex more than anything else.
- Show us what good responsible relationships look like….
….and help us avoid unhealthy relationships.
Teach them the warning signs of an abusive relationship.
- WE HATE “THE TALK”!!!
Issues of love, sex and relationships needs to be an ONGOING conversation.
LEBANON COUNTY RESOURCES
- Domestic Violence Intervention of Lebanon County
- Lebanon Family Health Services
- Sexual Assault Resource and Counseling Center